Sometimes as Windows users we get stuck into a situation where we want some changes in the Windows Registry. But before tweaking the Windows registry, it is always a good idea to backup it first. In this article, we will show you different ways to backup and restore the registry in Windows 10.
Microsoft has already added a feature in all the Windows version i.e. Windows 7/8/10. This includes a scheduled task that creates backups of the Registry frequently when the system is in idle condition. All the Registry backups are placed in a particular location, which is used in the System Restore operation. The location is as follows-
Backup and Restore Registry in Windows 10
But before you begin it is always a good idea to create a system restore point. So that if anything goes wrong you can always go back to the last state of the Windows without losing any data.
Backup Complete Registry of Windows 10
To take the backup of the complete Registry in Windows, follow the steps mentioned below-
1. Press Windows key + R to open the Run window screen. Type Regedit in it.
2. Once the Registry Windows open up, select Computer and right-click on it. Now select the Export option as shown in the image below. Give the exported file a name and select a location where you want to save the file.
This will take a backup of the complete Windows Registry as “.reg” file.
In this tutorial, we selected the “Desktop” location to save the Exported Registry file. You can always choose another folder or another drive.
Read Also, Windows File Explorer is Working Very Slow
Backup a Single Registry File
Now you have learned how to take a backup of the complete registry of the Windows. But what if you want the backup of a single registry file instead of taking backup of all the registries. It is very easy to do. Just follow these steps-
1. Open the Registry Editor the same way as mentioned above. Then you must locate the registry file and click on the file you want to backup.
2. Then click on “File” and choose the “Export” option.
3. Give the exported file a name and select a location where you want to save the file.
In the video tutorial, we will show you how to take the backup of a single registry file. Here, we are taking the example of the registry file present under the HKEY_USERS\.Default\Control Panel\Keyboard. The file is “InitialKeyboardIndicators”.
Read Also, How to enter into Windows 7/8/10 BIOS?
Restore the Registry in Windows
To restore the registry from an exported file, select the desired Registry key, where you want restoration of the registry file done. We are sure you must have now learned how to open the registry editor. Thus, we are not going to show you how to open the editor. Now to restore the exported file, follow these steps-
1. Open the Registry Editor. Then click on “File” and then click on “Export“.
2. Once the Import Registry File dialog box opens up, select the location to which you saved the backup copy, select the backup file, and then click Open.
There is an alternative method also. You can also simply double-click the backed up .reg file, to directly add it.
- How to set up Cortana on Windows 10?
- Windows 10 important useful features
- Windows 10 hibernate option in the start menu
- How to open a command prompt while installing Windows?
- How to customize the Windows sleep mode setting?
- Create a system restore point in Windows 10
- How to enter BIOS Windows 7/8/10?
- Enable Num Lock On restart or startup in Windows 10
- Windows Power and Sleep Options
- File Explorer is Working Very Slow – SOLVED
- How to customize the Windows 10 Start Menu?
- Recover Windows using System Restore Point
- Hide your WhatsApp profile photo in your Device
- Enable Dark Mode in WhatsApp
- How to unblock yourself on WhatsApp?
- How to read WhatsApp messages without letting your sender know?
- WhatsApp’s Latest update to sign into multiple smartphones
- How to use WhatsApp on your PC?
- Important things about WhatsApp chats Archive feature
- WhatsApp now comes with Fingerprint lock
- Cool WhatsApp Tips and Tricks You Must Know
- How to block or unblock a contact on WhatsApp?