Sometimes you get stuck into a where you have accidentally deleted a WhatsApp chat. Then you regret it immediately afterward. Then you start wondering if there is any to get it back? But do not worry my friend. We’re here to assist you with this. In this very article, we’ll share How to restore WhatsApp chat history. Before going any further, you must understand that you simply can only restore chats if the backup option had been turned on in the first place on WhatsApp. It means that if the chats backup option was not enabled, then you will not be to recover any messages or chats that you simply accidentally deleted.
How to restore WhatsApp chat history?
There are certain ways in which you can easily restore WhatsApp chat history on your smartphone-
- Restore from a Google Drive backup
- Restore from a local backup
- Last option is to restore a less recent local backup
Restore from a Google Drive backup
In order to restore a Google Drive backup, you need to use the same phone number and Google account which you used to create the chat backup.
To restore your chats backup, just follow these simple steps-
- First, uninstall WhatsApp and then reinstall it.
- Open your newly installed WhatsApp and verify your number.
- When indicated, tap RESTORE to restore your chats and media from Google Drive.
- After the recovery process is complete, tap on the NEXT option. After that, your chats will be displayed once the initialization process is complete.
- Then finally, WhatsApp will begin restoring your media files after your chats are recovered.
Keep in mind: If you install WhatsApp without any previous backups from Google Drive account, WhatsApp will automatically restore from your local backup file.
Restore from a local backup
Now, if you want to restore from using a local backup, then you’ll first need to transfer all the WhatsApp related files to the new phone using a computer, file explorer or SD Card.
Points to remember:
- Your smartphone will store up to the last seven days worth of local backup WhatsApp chats and media files.
- The Local backups will be automatically generated every day at 2:00 AM and stored as a file on your phone.
- If your data isn’t stored in the path /sdcard/WhatsApp/ folder, you might see “main storage” or “internal storage” folders.
Restore a less recent local backup
If you want to restore a less recent local backup, you’ll need to do the following steps:
- Download any file manager app or you can use your inbuilt file manager application.
- Open the app and navigate to sdcard/WhatsApp/Databases. If your data is not saved on your SD card, you might see “main storage” or “internal storage” folders.
- You will then need to rename the backup file you want to restore from msgstore-YYYY-MM-DD.1.db.crypt12 to msgstore.db.crypt12.
- Then you will need to uninstall and reinstall the WhatsApp application from the google play store.
- Then finally tap on the RESTORE option when prompted.
- How to change your WhatsApp status Privacy settings?
- Hide your WhatsApp profile photo in your Device
- Enable Dark Mode in WhatsApp
- How to unblock yourself on WhatsApp?
- How to read WhatsApp messages without letting your sender know?
- WhatsApp’s Latest update to sign into multiple smartphones
- How to use WhatsApp on your PC?
- Important things about WhatsApp chats Archive feature
- How to delete WhatsApp broadcast list?
- WhatsApp now comes with Fingerprint lock
- How to block or unblock a contact on WhatsApp?
- How to make a WhatsApp Group Video call?
- Cool WhatsApp Tips and Tricks You Must Know
- How to make a WhatsApp Group Voice call?
- How to create a WhatsApp broadcast group?
- WhatsApp increases group call limit
- How to edit a WhatsApp broadcast list?
- How to mute WhatsApp messages sound?
- WhatsApp Status Privacy Options